Role Description: Director of Operations
Reporting Relationship: Strategic Advisor
Direct Reports: No
Status: Full-time role, minimum 6 month term (through January 2023)
Location: Full-time. Remote within the United States
Compensation: Base salary range of $85,000 to $100,000 per annum, depending on prior experience of the candidate, plus competitive benefits.
With 1.3M monthly visitors per month, VolunteerMatch’s mission is to make it easy for good people and good causes to connect. Since 1998, more than 17M volunteers have connected with leading nonprofits through our platform. Today, our social innovations are powering volunteer engagement for a nation of nonprofits, businesses, campuses and government agencies. We are in a vibrant period of growth and change: embracing being a fully cloud-based organization with no ties to a physical space; experiencing record amounts of philanthropic investment; onboarding a new CEO; and establishing a new leadership team.
The Director of Operations supports efforts to ensure that the next phase of VolunteerMatch’s growth is equitable, productive and built on a strong foundation.. Working with the Strategic Advisor, s/he will help to establish and cultivate the culture and productivity of that team in the following areas:
- Establish and maintain systems and infrastructure to support the organization’s effective operations. Work with Strategic Advisor to assume responsibility for organization-wide systems and processes for a cloud-based, fully remote team.
- Support the culture re-creation plan. Help to organize the still-emerging leadership team around the plan. Create or revitalize the key rituals and traditions in support of our newly emergent cloud-based culture, including our convenings and celebrations.
- Activate the organization’s Development Strategy by executing against the goals of the strategy and to be accountable for our approach and priorities within philanthropy so that we continue to grow our financial strength as an organization.
- Promote cross-organizational collaboration. Organize and deliver special projects to support VolunteerMatch’s organizational transition.
- Create and maintain systems and processes to streamline operations, and oversee ongoing process improvements.
- Own the goals and execution of our Development Strategy in partnership with our Strategic Advisor and CEO, including preparation of pitch decks, grant writing, donor research, gift recognition and staying on top of trends that will impact VolunteerMatch’s philanthropic approach.
- Own and administer operational systems for cloud-based organization-wide communication, including calendaring, email, and storage, and related processes.
- Co-manage the process of change management organizationally in partnership with our Head of Talent & Culture.
- Co-manage the process of culture-building and facilitate our transition to an equitable, productive and effective cloud-based organization, including our convenings as a team in partnership with our CEO, Strategic Advisor, and with our VP of Talent & Culture.
- Serve as the main point of contact for our outsourced IT services to coordinate technical needs on the team, maintain our tech inventory and ensure that team members have what they need to be successful in a remote work environment related to technology.
- Support tracking organization’s Key Performance Metrics, and own gathering and presentation of the metrics.
- Manage outside consulting talent, as appropriate, in support of our goals as a team.
- Manage Volunteer support for the VolunteerMatch team including compliance with background checks and record-keeping.
Desired Skills and Experience
- BA/BS degree or equivalent lived experience
- Five to ten years of demonstrated experience working at a middle management level within social change, social innovation, startups or other growth-oriented environments
- Two to five years in fundraising, nonprofit development or philanthropy
- Two to five years experience managing operational details to support effective teaming, especially in a cloud-based team environment.
- Ability and willingness to operate both at a strategic and tactical level
- Strong project and process management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An open and learning-oriented attitude
- An ability to code switch, calibrate and speak truth to power
- Familiarity with corporate social responsibility and a passion for volunteer engagement is a plus
- Experience with events planning is a plus